Sanitation for Girls
Helping girls and female teachers to access safe water and sanitation, so they are no longer forced to stay at home during their period.
- Project: The Heshima Project
- Area: Kwale, Kenya
- Beneficiaries: Children attending school
- Reach: 3,200 children (50% girls) per cluster of schools
- Duration: 1 year
Children are staying healthy at school with clean water, sanitation and hygiene facilities.
- Each school has the right water, sanitation and hygiene facilities and is able to maintain them
- Children understand the link between hygiene and staying healthy
- Girls can manage their menstrual health with dignity
Without safe water and clean sanitation, girls in rural areas can miss up to a week of lessons every month - causing many to fall behind and even drop out. By changing community attitudes towards girls and their period, discrimination and bullying can also be reduced.
Contact Sonja Lawrence on [email protected] or +44 (0) 1892 519619 for more information.